Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Top 5 Songs that Make Me Happy


Today hasn't really been a good day. Just over a week ago I broke up with my boyfriend, and it made me very sad, and then today I went to work without any sleep and just broke down. So to cheer myself up, I'm going to do the list of Top 5 Songs that Make Me Happy. The Top 5 Songs that make me as calm as Homer Simpson driving his acid car. Now all I need is some acid.

5. "Come Together" - THE BEATLES




Listening to this song reminds me of this one time at my friend's place. It was a long night of heavy drinking, and we were all zoned out on the couches. One mate picked up a guitar and started playing this song. Then someone else picked up a bass, someone else picked up the rhythm and they went through the whole song start to finish without anyone saying anything, without keeping time, without lyrics, without discussing who was playing what. It was amazing.

4. "The Wine Song" - THE CAT EMPIRE



"I'm gonna die with a twinkle in my eye, 'cos I sung songs, spun stories, loved, laughed and drank wine". How can you not love a song with a message like that? My sister introduced me to this song a few years ago, and while I don't so much have a love affair with The Cat Empire, this song has made its impression. I've played it for a few of my friends as well, it's a staple in our party playlists now.

3. "Got Up This Morning" - SAGE FRANCIS feat. JOLIE HOLLAND




I only heard this song earlier this year, but it's already riding to the top of my favourites list. Quite a strange choice for me, as I'm so rarely a fan of hip hop, but this particular track kind of just spoke to me. The main bridge, "Got up this morning, didn't know right from wrong", is the way I feel every time I wake up (except it's usually afternoon for me). The choice between right and wrong, especially when you know the difference, is something I struggle with every day. "I'm talking in extremes, best this and best that / Best not regret anything said to this hell cat" is another favourite line - I find regret a fault in one's self, and the fact that I regret a lot of the things I've said or not said is disappointing. Well, I think so anyway. Others may be glad to know or not know what I'm really thinking.

2. "Girl Inform Me" - THE SHINS




I guess I can only hope to be the chick in this song. "Your clever eyes could easily disguise some backwards purpose, it's enough to make me nervous", "Your lips when we speak are the valleys and peaks of a mountain range on fire", "Unknown quotients, you must be using potions / How else could you tie my head to the sky?" I would quite like to be such an object of desire, I think.

1. "I Can't Stand the Rain" - JANIS JOPLIN




The lyrics of this song are actually kind of depressing, but I love it so much. It's kind of embarrassing how much I get into this song when it comes on in my car; even if other people are in it, it gets belted out, and I get weird looks from pedestrians. I swear to you, if ever this song comes on, I'm instantly in a better mood. But the neighbours don't usually like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment