Monday, July 4, 2011

Top 5 Songs by The Doors

Yesterday was July 3, and 40 years to the day since Jim Morrison died. So, here is my top 5 tribute to the Lizard King.

5. RIDERS ON THE STORM


(Also, one of my favourite songs to listen to in the car. Just some useless info for you there.)
This song was released in 1971, shortly before Morrison died. What I like about it mostly is the piano's timbre, which is soft and delicate, yet it manoeuvres the sound around the guitars, bass and drums to fit in with their 70s psychedelic rock music. I have a feeling that I am the only person who knows what I mean by that.

4. LOVE STREET


I love this song because I desperately want to be this girl. I even went so far as to google map Love Street and find the one that would be most feasible for me to live on (probably the one in Chester, UK, because that's also my dad's name).

3. BACK DOOR MAN


My love for this song stems directly from this one time I got drunk with my mate Frank and we sang it really loudly in his lounge. There's definitely also something about the way Jim uses his voice in this song - he oozes charisma and animal magnetism. Impossible to resist.

2. ROADHOUSE BLUES


The mix of the guitar riff as well as the piano and the harmonica create a classic pub song that can't be resisted by anyone within the boundaries of their right mind, and for anyone outside of those limits, this song is a mindsplosion.

1. TOUCH ME


I'm not a romantic person. I'm just not. But, music with lyrics about how much someone loves someone else? They make me melt. "I'm going to love you 'til the heavens stop the rain". I can only hope that someone loves me enough to say things like that about me. I'm pretty sure I've said that before. That's not important. The important thing is, this song is my absolute favourite Doors song for the lyrics, and for the energy. It's a pumpy kind of song, upbeat and joyous, while also very carnal and lustful.

FUN FACT! The last four words in the song are "Stronger than Dirt", the slogan for Ajax cleaners.

No comments:

Post a Comment